Friday, July 22, 2011

More Fish, Please

Question from Anonymous: How do I work more fish into my week?

Answer: Fish is hard. At least it is for me. If we lived on a coast where it was fresh with more variety that was more readily available, it might be easier. But I have a hard time getting the timing right ... get it out of the freezer at the right time to get it thawed on a day that I am actually home to cook.

So, I honestly eat more fake crab than any other fish. It has a longer fridge shelf life, which works better with my life/schedule. But I LIKE other fish, too. So here are some options. A few of you have husbands who bring home fresh catches and I bet you have even better ideas ... leave a comment with your favorite recipe!

Fake Crab
  • Flaked in ordinary lettuce salads
  • Combined with some creamy and crunch stuff, then put in pita pockets, tortillas or on crackers (I usually make it like this: http://carsickcaravan.blogspot.com/2010/12/crabby.html
  • Melty in enchiladas (a little low fat cream cheese/sour cream/lowfat chees and green onion combo)
 Haddock/Perch/Cod
  • In "hobo packs" on the grill (make an aluminum foil pouch with lemon pepper, onions and a little butter/margarine/oil)
  • Seasoned and grilled with lime/chipotle seasoning to use in fish tacos with chipotle mayo
Salmon/Tuna Steaks
I'm a recent convert here. I am actually starting to like these varieties. The texture used to gross me out, but I'm changing my tune. I like them rubbed with blackening seasoning and grilled best. Though I have baked them in the oven.
Scallops/Shrimp
Just give them a little oil, s&p and a kabob skewer and away you go!

Secret Weapon
I frequently order fish when I'm at a restaurant. Why? Because while grilling fish outside is easy and delicious, I don't always like to cook fish in the house because the smell sticks around too long. And, when I order it out, most restaurants give you too much for one meal. So I eat half and take half home. When it's leftover night, I have a fish option!

Applebee's "Under 500 Calorie" meals include some good fish options. Even Texas Roadhouse has a grilled shrimp appetizer that's yummy. You get a LOT of shrimp for very few calories.

2 comments:

HR GIRL said...

I am so with you about the lingering smell in the house from fish. That is the only reason I don't make fish unless it can be grilled outside.
I have made almond-crusted tilapia and it was delicious, but the house stank (that's the stronger version of stunk). I am going to try some of that imitation stuff you eat and see if I like it.

I highly recommend if you are in the Fort area and want some delicious fish, try Norm's. I had the BEST Almond or Pecan crusted tilipia of my life

Miss Daisy said...

Here are a couple of recipes from DodgeGirl. I'm definitely giving them a try!

I thought I'd share my fish recipe which I just wing it when I make it, but I have two that I like! I use frozen, individually wrapped Tilapia filets...I grab them from the freezer and set them (still wrapped) in a bowl of water...takes about 15 minutes to thaw.

Recipe one, I use canned green beans, mushroom slices and stewed tomatoes(probably not so diet friendly) thrown in the fry pan, season both sides of filets with Lawry's seasoning and lay them on top of veggies, cover with tinfoil and cook on medium high heat, until heated and fish is flaky.

The other way is a bag of frozen vegetable medley (brocolli, cauliflower and carrots) thawed, in the bottom of oven ready pan, then lay the fish on top, cover and bake until done.

Give them a try and let me know what you think! I agree with you too that it's hard to cook fish at home...sometimes it turns out better than others, and sometimes that depends on whether or not I'm doing too many other things and forget to watch the fish!