Thursday, February 16, 2012

Going to Try the Magic Beans

I have never used any supplements during a long run. You know ... those energy goo shots and the like. I don't know anything about them and never took any time to research them. I carry water, and drink it, but that's it. 

Part of me thinks the whole concept is kind of suspect. I mean, I get why you need nutrition/electrolytes/whatever if you're running a marathon or 50 miles or 100 miles. That makes sense. But do you really need them if you're only out for a 10-mile spin? My gut says, "Tough it out and if you can't, you're a pussy anyway."

GaryAllenFan said she also thought it might be BS. Until she tried the Jelly Belly Beans. 

She said they were like magic ... gave her a literal burst of energy during her long weekend run. 

So I'm going to do my own research. I hit All Season Runner tonight and bought a handful of different chews/beans. I'm going to give them a shot and see if they make a difference. The dosage seems to be one serving for every hour or 90 minutes you're training.

The guy working at the store said he likes the goo shots best because they bother his stomach the least. Keep in mind that he was wearing an Ironman Tshirt, so I expect his needs were/are far greater than mine. He did, however, recommend trying a bunch of different things and see what you like best. Good advice. 

Do you have any experience with this stuff? Comment and tell us what you like or what you don't and why

3 comments:

Always a Beginner said...

The beans are really hard for me to eat while running. Apparently, I can't chew and run at the same time. I could walk and enjoy the snack, but in my mind, that's cheating. If I walk at all, I've failed. And my mouth is usually dry when I go for long runs, so the beans are hard to swallow. All that to say, I stick with gum ... and rap music. :)

Anonymous said...

I have only tried the beans. They're pretty sweet, I usually eat half a pack at each 1/4. You can also pop a few in and just let them dissolve. Excited for feedback!
Amber

GaryAllanFan said...

I recently tried the Gu gels. Texture is a little weird but not awful. So many choices for supplements.....can't wait to hear what works for you.