Friday, February 17, 2012

New Routine

I'm working on a new schedule. I'm still not sure if it's right, so there may be more tinkering to come.

But I've come to realize that I'm really in maintenance mode. And I have to get my head in that place and REALLY understand it if I'm going to get out of this funk.

Because if I don't, I'm going to keep kicking myself for not eating perfectly and not working out enough. I'm going to feel badly for not being "good enough" and dread the scale. I don't want to live in that place between self-loathing and fear. I gave that up almost two years ago, remember?

So, here's where I'm at.

Workout Schedule:

  • Monday and Friday are weights, leg lifts, butt lifts, sit-ups, planks, isometrics. All muscle stuff, no cardio. 
  • Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are cardio days. At least two days have to be full or mostly runs, four-mile minimums. 
  • Saturdays and Sundays are long cardio days. One long run and one long bike ride, perhaps. If my knees can take it, maybe two long runs. 
  • Oh, and there's room for a total skip day every once in a while. 


Eating:
The problem with figuring out how much is too much is that you have to eat too much to know. I'm still eating my bagel and peanut butter for breakfast. But I've added a fruit and a pretzel. Lunch is still usually a cup or two of raw veg, but now sometimes there's a small bag of popcorn and/or a fruit or yogurt. Dinner is a little more free-form, based on the day's intake. Limited carbs if the rest of the day was carb heavy. Salad at least twice a week. But a cookie every now and then isn't going to kill me. Maybe even twice a week.

I'm only going to weigh in a few times a week, too. Unless my pants start to feel tight.

We'll see how it goes. And I swear I'm going to stop focusing on my saddlebags as I pass by the patio door on the way to bed.

Amen.

4 comments:

HR GIRL said...

This sounds like a mighty sound plan. Are you drinking enough water for the amount of exercise you do?

Anonymous said...

Too much exercise for maintenance. Take a cardio day off and pick one long weekend workout. I think you could eat like a horse with that much working out :) Just my thoughts, you know you and what works for you. Let us know how the schedule is working.
Amber

Miss Daisy said...

Here's the thing, Amber ... I DO eat like a horse. Well, actually a pony that REALLY likes chocolate. When you're wasting 500 or so calories a day on Dove, Mike&Ikes and pretzels, there has to be exercise to balance it out. I go in ebbs and flows with the candy ... and right now I am in total snarf it up mode. (Just when my physician is pleased, my dentist is not!)

HR Girl said...

"I had a pony"
Think Seinfeld.....