Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Real Food

I have this belief about snacking that goes something like this:

You can eat as much as you want as long as it's "real food."

Nothing processed. Nothing from a box. Nothing with chemicals in it. Nothing with fake ingredients.

So, when I'm going to graze, if I feel the need to munch, if I just gotta crunch ... I head for real food. Sometimes it's raw veg or fresh fruit. Sometimes it's cheese. Sometimes it's yogurt. Pistachios. Homemade hummus or salsa with homemade whole wheat pita chips.  Chocolate soy milk ...

... and occasionally, Honey Nut Cherrios. (Yeah, they come in a box, but they're about as harmless as Rice Krispies.)

Now, I'm pretty sure this isn't foolproof advice. You can eat too much of all these things. But at least when you're consuming them, your body is also getting some nutrition.

Snacking smarter makes me feel better. Inside and out.

No comments: