Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mmmmeatballs!

On the drive home after a lovely day shopping with a great friend, the conversation turned to food. (As every conversation does with me, I think.)

And she said the magic word, "Meatball." And then it was all I could think about.

So after dropping her off and before I headed to my house, I made a stop at the grocery store to pick up  meatball-making essentials.

Here's the recipe. I didn't really measure anything, so don't take this as gospel. Follow your instincts. And always make a test ball first to check the seasoning. Can't stress that enough!

Mmmmmmeatballs
1 20 oz. package ground turkey
1/3 to 1/2 c Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg
1T oregano
1-2 t salt
Pepper

Mix all of the above. Don't put all the bread crumbs in right away. If it feels too "wet", add more bread crumbs. (Again, I didn't measure ... sorry! But when it's back to feeling like normal hamburger and not juicy, you have enough bread crumbs.)

Make one meatball and put it on a baking pan in a 350-degree oven. Let it cook all the way through. You will smell it when it's done. Cooking time will vary with the size of the meatball. 1 to 1.5 inch dia ball might take 8-10 minutes.

Taste the test ball. Adjust salt and seasonings if you need to. Make the rest of the balls and bake them off. If you want to get fancy, flip them over halfway through the cooking time so you don't get one really brown side.

No comments: