Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Never Ordered My Wedding Photos

We're approaching our 10-year wedding anniversary this spring. I can't quite believe it's been a decade. In fact, it seems like it can't possibly have been that long ... which is a good sign, I hope.

As we're talking about the options for celebration, there's one thing nagging at me. 

I'm not a big fan of my wedding photos. 

So much so, that I never ordered a single print for anyone. Yes, I have the book. But my mom doesn't have a photo. Nor do my in-laws. Nor did my adorable flower girl get a single copy of her being adorable. (And now she's almost 15 ... oy vey.)

Shopping for my dress went like this: 

I went to the bridal store by myself. Not because I didn't want my mom and sister to go, but because I didn't want to go myself. I assumed it would be a horrible ordeal and that I wasn't going to enjoy it. I tried on four or five gowns, I picked the least offensive of them all. I kept it as short and painless as possible. Truth is, while the beading was pretty, the dress didn't really fit right. It was sleeveless and probably shouldn't have been. It was "fine," but not the "amazing" we all sort of secretly wish for.

(I did take my mom, sister and new step-daughter back for the fitting and we chose bridesmaid gowns that day ... just so you know I'm not a total Debbie Downer.)

And don't get me wrong. I loved my wedding. I loved my reception. I love my husband. It was a great day and it's been a great ride, no matter how big or small I was and am.

However, part of me wishes it had gone down a little differently. I know I can't change how I looked then, but I still wish I had woken up a little sooner. 

Part of me really wants to go buy a knockout dress and  have new photos taken. 

Sounds like an idea for the 10-year celebration might be shaping up ...

3 comments:

HR GIRL said...

I absolutely think you need to get "the dress" and some fabulous pictures taken and enjoy every bit of attention on you! You and Jim deserve it and not just because you lost weight and look fab but because at 10 years you still love him. So, I say celebrate that and look gorgeous while celebrating

marthamac said...

I think you should buy that rock-star tiny little white dress that you've dreamed of. Renew your vows, get new pics taken, celebrate the last 10 years, and look ahead to the wonderful many more you have to look forward to. You deserve it! And...you'd have those positive pictures to constantly remind you of your amazing achievement...(not to mention the hunky hubby too!)
Go for it! I don't think you'd regret it! (Then share the pictures with all of us...the old ones AND the new ones so we can be insipred too!) ~ Maybe I can do the same for my 25th!?!

Miss Daisy said...

Let's all hit a beach somewhere and celebrate! Maybe a white swimming suit will replace a white dress. And then I can get over being so vain already!

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Stay tuned!