Saturday, February 18, 2012

Magic Beans, Version 1

OK, I tried the Jelly Belly Beans today. I conferred with some respected advisers last night over a beer and learned that your body has enough stores to get you through a 60 minute workout. But if you plan on going farther, you should ingest the beans about 30 minutes before you "need" the boost.

So, let's say you're going to run for 90 minutes. Take the beans 30 minutes into your run, and you get the effects at the 60-minute mark. Take another serving at 60 minutes to get you to the 90-minute finish line.

I was only going to do about 60 minutes today, so I just popped 'em in my mouth before I left the house ...  just to see if I noticed anything.

And ... I didn't.

I felt pretty good, and could have gone longer, but am saving up for a long run tomorrow.

I wanted some tingle. Or electrical pulses. Perhaps quivering.

I didn't get that. And I gotta tell you, I'm disappointed.

It was still a beautiful day for a run, however.

2 comments:

GaryAllanFan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GaryAllanFan said...

Here is my experience with the magic beans.....I took them after I was well into my run and pretty much out of steam to keep going. After I took them....I felt like I could keep going. It was also further than I had ever ran before. So in my experience....if I take them and do something that is "easy" (well not easy but do-able and I'm not to the point of running out of steam)...I don't know that I would benefit. I think they helped when I was pushing my limits and needed an extra boost to keep going.